The Search Committee for the Chamber has just released the Job description for the CEO position. If you are interested, please send your resume and cover letter to CEOhire@otsegocc.com. All candidates information must be sent by November 10th.
The Heart of Central New York
Otsego County and the surrounding Upstate New York Communities combine the fresh air and wide open spaces of rural communities with modern conveniences like world-class healthcare, the arts and culture, picturesque parks, fine dining, health and wellness centers, hiking, boating, fishing and much more.
Nestled in between the Catskills and the Adirondacks, the region also boasts some of the most competitive K-12 schools in New York State that excel in academic, athletic and extra-curricular performance. The region is also home to several post-secondary educational institutions and is within a two-hour drive of more than 20 highly regarded colleges and universities.
Located within day-trip distances of major metropolitan centers like Montreal, Boston and New York City, Otsego County has it all for you and your family.
The Otsego Chamber of Commerce seeks an experienced leader who can lead change, grow membership, build revenues, and manage programs to advance the Chamber mission. This individual is responsible for providing highly visible leadership in all issues related to the business community, our economy and community vitality. The CEO must will able to travel regularly for meetings and events. The CEO is responsible for representing the interests of members and in supporting our economic development and quality of life. The vision of the Chamber is to be a proactive business organization in the spirit of collaboration and cooperation, providing value and advocacy to our members with an influential voice dedicated to economic success and quality of life in Otsego County.
The mission of the Chamber is to continually improve the overall business climate in the region; to strive for an atmosphere which attracts investment; to build a positive, forward-thinking business community; and to partner with government, groups, individuals and institutions.
The Otsego County Chamber of Commerce is governed by Board of Directors that meets monthly. It also has an Executive Committee.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Reporting to the Board of Directors and its Executive Committee, the CEO advances the Chamber vision, leads the mission, builds revenues, and grows membership. The CEO should be a dynamic person who is energetic and passionate about growing and supporting the membership in building a prosperous and resilient community. As the chief executive officer of the Chamber, responsibilities include, but not limited to: growing and sustaining membership; managing and directing all operations, programs, activities, and affairs of the organization; and, the Chamber’s Strategic Plan. The CEO supports the Chamber’s Board of Directors and serves as the “face of the Chamber,” acting as a community leader and ambassador of business advocacy. The CEO also collaborates closely with other business organizations with the goal of improving the business climate across the County and region with a focus on economic development. Chamber Areas of Focus
- Vision, mission and core values as outlined in the Chamber’s Strategic Plan.
- Membership recruiting, sustainment and support.
- Economic development
- Programs and project management that include a system of measuring progress and goal attainment as well as reporting system back to Board of Directors.
- Identify Chamber Business Community needs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Under the broad supervision of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, the CEO will be responsible for the following:
- Advancing the vision, mission and core values of the Chamber.
- Planning and conducting membership recruiting, sustainment and support.
- Oversee and/or participate in researching, writing, and administering grants that support Chamber goals.
- Implementing systems that support Chamber members.
- Implementing and refreshing the Chamber’s Strategic Plan.
- Meeting or exceeding budgeted financial metrics.
- Facilitating cooperation between the Chamber on behalf of its members, the Otsego County Business Community and the region as a whole.
- Ensuring administrative and financial policies and controls, which assure sound fiscal and operational management of Chamber affairs, including the Chamber budget.
- Measuring progress of program and goal attainment as well as developing reporting system back to Board of Directors that is directly tied to part of CEO performance evaluations.
- Facilitating the appointment of all Board committee chairs, as well as members of the Board of Directors.
- Developing agendas for all Executive Committee, Board and other committee meetings with advice and counsel of the Board Chair.
- Serving as the chief spokesperson on policy matters for the Chamber.
- Recruiting, training, supervising, and developing Chamber staff members.
- Promoting growth, retention, and expansion of existing member businesses.
- Embracing technology and emerging trends to help the Chamber meet its strategic goals.
Required Background & Experience | Desirable Qualities & Characteristics Suitable candidates for the position of CEO will have a proven track record in executive leadership, strategic planning and implementation, Board management, membership development, economic development, budget and operational management, legislative and community advocacy, relationship building, and staff management. In addition, all candidates will be expected to have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsible leadership experience, preferably with a membership organization, chamber of commerce or business advocacy organization; comparable experience in private business sector is acceptable.
- Demonstrated success in a membership association the size of the Chamber with proven ability to develop new membership levels.
- Strong organizational and strategic skills; ability to plan strategically and think tactically.
- Prior experiences in strategic planning in cooperation with a governing Board a plus.
- Successful track record for engaging, partnering and building alliances with a wide range of constituencies and influencers; strong relationship-building skills.
- Prior experience with successful grant applications including research, writing, and administration.
- High degree of skills and experience in effective financial management and media relations, including social media.
- A successful track record as a proactive advocate for an organization; working knowledge of legislative and political processes and environments.
- Ability to represent the Chamber’s vision, mission, goals, and outcomes to Board members, government agencies, and industry leaders.
- Experience aligning diverse interest groups on issues and opportunities that will benefit the overall business community.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and confidence as a public speaker.
- Proven experience recruiting, developing, motivating and retaining a strong, diverse staff in a team-oriented environment; an effective delegator.
- Proven track record of budgetary and fiscal management for an organization the size of the Chamber, including budget development and financial statement interpretation.